Thursday, July 5, 2012

Best laid plans

Well this post is going up much later than I  wanted though still on Thursday.

The plans for this post were to go over my starting point in terms of weight and health before going into what changes I managed to do. First I needed to get my current weight. Only the battery is dead in my scales. (yeah I haven't really been using them so the battery was likely wore down for some time.) As we tend to have AA and AAA around the house i was hopeful that we had the right battery only to open it up and find that it was a 9 volt battery. No one keeps 9v in the house because it seems like almost nothing uses them any more.

So i went out shopping for batteries and could only find the 9v in a back of 8 that cost around $15. I wouldn't pay that when I only needed one battery and it would be cheaper to buy a new scale most likely. I've never understood the reason that we have so many different kinds of batteries and 9v seem particularly useless as I'm sure the job could be done just as well by 2 or even 4 AA.

So this post is not a total waste I'm going to talk about a few healthy choices that I did make when shopping that I'm hoping are steps in the right directions. Particularly since they deal with my biggest down fall:

Snacks.

First thing I did was not even go down the chocolate, candy and cookie aisles. I know I have weakness with those things and if I saw them I'd get a chocolate covered something or other with a million calories in it.

The first thing I picked up was some Cocoa roasted Almond. Now chocolate almonds was something I liked but didn't love as a child. When Hershey had the Christmas story books of three candy bars and my friend would always give me her milk chocolate with almond as she was allergic to nuts. I'd break it up to get the nuts and eat them first then savor the chocolate, the good part. However as an adult chocolate covered almonds have become a favorite of mine to the point that guy at the concession of our local movie theater knows that's what I want every time i come to the movies.

However what I got today is not chocolate almonds but almonds with a light dusting of cocoa powder. they have little fat or calories and almonds are full of all kinds of good things for you. not only that but a handful really does full you up and make you want to snack less.

The second snack I got was first for the nostalgia and second for the health. Blueberries. I grew up in an area where the late summer and early fall has blueberries growing all over the place wild. I have fond memories of picking the berries with my sister and parents. Of sitting in a blueberry patch with my cup to put my berries in. One berry for the cup, one for me, On for the cup, two for me.  when my cup was finally full I'd dump it in the bucket that my parents had half full by now and go right back to things with even less berries winding up in the cup.

Well i plan to finish each of these with a light recipe that is simple to make and thinking of blueberries made me think of one of my old childhood favorites

Blueberries, Milk and Sugar

Ingredients:
     - Blueberries (about 1 cup)
     - Milk (about 1/4 of a cup)
     - Sugar or low cal. sweetener to taste

Put berries in a bowl then pour milk in until just vi sable through the berries. Lightly sprinkle with sugar until you get it to your taste though you don't need much as the berries have a lot of natural sugars. Eat like cereal.

Yes I know that his is a super easy recipe, almost like something a child would make and it is that simple and more delicious than it has any reason to be. Antioxidant rich blueberries with 1% milk and a touch of splendia or even sugar is a light snack that will make you feel like a kid again. Or at least it does for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment