Sunday, July 8, 2012

You haven't seen.....

Well this one is going up much later than I wanted to mainly because I've been without power for most of the afternoon and evening. 

Saturday is my day for random musings that pop into my head and perhaps from time to time extra craft or health posts. Today i want to talk about the oddity of the words "I can't believe you haven't seen..." usually followed by some movie or TV show.

Really there is nothing out there that everyone has seen so it shouldn't surprise us but I don't know how many times I've uttered those words myself or had them uttered to me.

Today's word is one of sub-sub cultures and there are very few things no mater how popular or good that are truly universal. As a child growing up my sister loved the Princess Bride and we watched that movie to the point that we both had it memorized. For me the thought of someone not having seen that movie is just bazaar. Watership down was a favorite movie as a child that only got better as an adult as I could appreciate it more and after reading the book. Yet when I learned that my movie buff and general geeky husband hadn't seen it i was shocked. I lamented this fact to a mutual friend of ours who as a general rule loved all the same things that I did and she had never even heard of the movie or the book.

It can get even worse for TV shows I grew up in Canada and my husband in the US. Some of the shows he remembers fondly I'm quite sure were never shown back home or at least not on a station that we had. I get the strangest looks trying to explain things like Mr. Dressup, the Beachcombers, the Littlest Hobo, The adventures of Tintin or even more recent stuff like This hour has 22 minutes or Just for Laughs.

Of course this can be something of an opportunity because I've noticed that though this might happen a lot when you're dealing with something very common or popular most of the time when you say it is because you know that this is something that this person would like. I couldn't believe that my husband hadn't seen Schindler's List because he is a movie buff and a history buff. To list all the movies he's exposed me to because he couldn't believe i hadn't seen them would have me here all day

"I can't believe you've never seen this." may be a strange thing to say as logically no one can see everything even all the things they might wind up loving if they did see it. But keeping watch of when you say those words is a pretty clear gauge of what is important to you, the media that didn't just entertain us but became a part of our lives.

Well i don't know if that made sense to anyone but me but to finish up I'm going to put an update on the diet progress. I have been able to get a 9volt battery and now have functioning scales though I was not pleased with what they wound up telling me and want to insist that they are broken.

My starting weight for this endeavor is 241.2 which is easily the heaviest I've been in my whole life as normally I've only been around 200-210 but I knew from how I was feeling that things couldn't be right. So now my first goal is to get back under 200 preferably by end of the year. Once I reach that goal I'll set a second one though i think my ideal weight would be 140-160. I am a short woman at 5'1" and this weight is making it hard to move, hard to sleep  and I have no energy. I dont' really want to try to reach a certain dress size or anything like that because this is not about how i look but how i feel. the numbers don't really matter as much of how i think I'll feel if I can hit them. If i never make it to 160 but i can get in a shape where I can sleep good and have energy and am not hurting all the time then I'll be happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment